Old 08-14-03, 05:57 PM
nathank
cycle-powered

Bikes: '02 Specialized FSR, '03 RM Slayer, '99 Raleigh R700, '97 Norco hartail, '89 Stumpjumper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Buzzbomb, why go with a 1x9 or 2x9, go hardcore, full rigid, and a single speed.
well i really like the idea of simple and would love to have a singlespeed. actually i am thinking of building up a commuter singlespeed... but for trail riding... i just don't see how it's possible - how the heck do you get up the mountain for extreme steep downhill? (i RIDE up, i don't take a shuttle or a lift) for example for the 2 extreme downhills i did last weekend i climbed 2300meters (7600ft) and 1200meters (4300ft) respectively, both on trails in the 10-25% grade range, part asphalt and part gravel and i needed almost every one of my gears (22x34 is my lowest, and it would have been hard with anything larger than 22x28 as gravel at 25% is not easy - actually i had to walk the last part b/c it included drops/stairs on the UPHILL trail)

Somebody that owns a downhill bike isnt going to ride xc on it with other fast xc guys, and somebody that has a light full suspension xc bike isnt going to ride with the fast downhillers.
i disagree...i know 2 guys who ride rigid who bomb semi-technical trails faster than most of the XC riders with FS, plus i frequently pass (or have to stop and wait for them to clear) freeride/downhillers on major technical downhills (the guys with full armor and 150mm travel) on my XC FS (Specialized FSR with 80mm front, 90mm rear) wearing only my shin protectors. sure i probably COULD ride faster on a true DH bike... my only real concern is that my bike is not really built to take the abuse (today my rear shock got sent back to Fox for the 2nd time)

I would argue that suspension changes the skills needed in riding, not reduces. I basically see two sets of skills: trials skills and downhill skills. Compare a trials rider doing a drop to a freeride/dh rider doing a drop to see the massive differences in approach and attitude. This is reflected in the setup of their bikes.
i would agree that there are SOME different skills associated with riding FS, mainly b/c of the higher speeds, BUT given the same trail it is almost always easier to ride with more suspension and it takes MUCH of the skill out of it. bomb through a rock garden at 20mph on a FS rig and then try it on a rigid: the FS you can just sit back and the suspension does the work, on the rigid if you don't pull up the front end and pick a good line you're gonna crash!

anyway, all i was saying at the beginning is that I personally don't want all the technology to do the work for me (yes, FS is more comfortable and i like durably and i'm not being anti-technology or anything) but i want a simple bike that has less to break and requires lots of skill to ride ---- as i said i have a really hard time finding trails that are REALLY challenging on my XC FS. where would i ride if i had MORE suspension?