Old 08-31-06, 08:56 AM
moxfyre
cyclist/gearhead/cycli...

Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sch
Sorry moxfyre, just reporting what the "Made in ..." section reported on the 10spd KMC chain I bought said, and the chain instructions explicitly state, QC is one use only on that 10spd. Got the chain from
AEBikes for ~$30 IIRC plus $10 more for 6 of the QC. You may or may not be aware that Taiwan is one of the larger investors in mainland China and has exported a great deal of lower value foundry, metal and manufacturing work to sites in mainland China. I was a bit surprised as well, also surprised that the FSA der I bought was made in Singapore.
Thanks for filling me in! I was aware that many Taiwanese companies invest heavily in China, but did not know that KMC farmed out their chains to the mainland. What about SRAM... anyone know where their chains are actually made?

I still don't get the point of the "one use" quick link. Does it deform in some way that makes it unsuitable for repeated use?

Last edited by moxfyre; 08-31-06 at 09:02 AM.