View Single Post
Old 08-31-06, 10:31 AM
Hiland_hall
Candlestick Maker

Bikes: Trek Pilot 1.0 (2006), Specialized Hybrid (1997), Trek 520 (1995)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This isn't "nice" but it is funny:

I live in Brooklyn, and bike across the Brooklyn Bridge a lot. The bridge has one walkway that is shared by pedestrians and bikers. One half of the walkway is for pedestrians, and the other for bikers. However, pedestrians traffic tends to be heavier than bikers, and they tend to wander into the bike path a lot (I've had a lot of near accidents).

One day, as I was on the downhill side into Manhattan, there was a guy walking, purposefully, in the bike path. Because there were so many other people on the bridge, it was impossible to get around him. Finally, there was a break in the pedestrian traffic, and I was able to swing around him. As I passed, I told him "Stay on your own side."

He starts screaming and cursing at me, but I pay no mind and keep coasting down the bridge.

Then he runs ahead of me, so I am once again stuck behind him. He is yelling and cursing at me still.

So now I'm riding my brakes, trying not to hit him, and he's running as fast as he can, for the same reason. I did the only thing I could think to do, which was yell "Run, Forrest, Run!" (This did not make him happy)

Finally, there was another opening in the pedestrian traffic, and I went around him and put on some speed to get away from him, as he was STILL cursing me out... clearly the guy was not so stable...

I know that's not what you were looking for, but it's still one of my favorite stories. Gotta love NYC.