cycle17
Warrior Cyclist

Bikes: 2021 TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Snicklefritz
while we're on the topic, should I be looking for a new LBS if I said I was concerned about the wear
and asked them to take a look at this stuff and they just replace the chain, but say nothing other than the
cassette is ok? I've got a lot more info here from you guys than I got whn I went in there...
Possibly. There's a reason a brand new chain broke. They should do everything necessary to make it right and insure that your bike is in proper mechanical condition. They should take this seriously. You are not some 20 mile a week cruiser, you're a serious rider, putting real miles on your bike. You want it to be right!

FYI... I've now got a little over 3k on the rear cassette on my training bike, and it's the second chain on this cassette. When I put the next chain on, I'm putting on a new cassette, since the "climbing gears" on the cassette are starting to show some real wear. So this winter it's a new SRAM chain and a new cassette.

BTW...Everyone at my LBS pronounces it "SchRAM." With the Sch sounding like "Schwin" And have them show you how easy the power link is to get on and off.

One last thing...if you get a Park Tools CT-5 mini chain tool, you can learn to do your own chains and then the next time, you just buy the new SRAM chain, measure the length, take off the un-needed links and put it on yourself in about all of 2 minutes. The tool is small enought to fit in your saddle pack as well. you might also consider a spare SRAM Power Link. Works great in a pinch(if not for you...a fellow rider).

Hope this helps.