Mo'Phat
Scum, Freezebag!

Bikes: 2007 Leader 796R w/ 10sp DA and 2005 Jamis Dakar XLT FS MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ranchos, NCCC, SDBC, or Swami's?

Do any of the So Cal forumites ride with (or have ridden with) these groups? I'm thinking that, for the sake of sanity, scheduling, and motivation, I want to work up to a routine weekly ride that is both challenging, rewarding, and fun. "Training without purpose" is one of the biggest de-motivators for me.

I was out last Saturday, and not-so-subtly passed by the Swami's 'A' group (Hey, I was 30 miles in, and they were about 8). I have no idea if I could have hung with them if we'd started together. But I'd finished my 52 mile route in just over 3 hours (17 mph average) that covered much the same track as the Swami's ride. (Del Dios, RSF, Elfin Forest, Harmony Grove)

The fact is that I nearly always ride alone and don't really have a barometer as to my fitness or speed. I'm a bit intimidated to just 'audit' a group without knowing where I might stand. Are there any 'rules of thumb' ie: be comfortable with 40 miles in 2 hours on varied terrain? Climb a 10% grade at 13 mph without breaking a sweat?

Also, Ranchos starts about 5 miles from my house, so would be really convenient for me. Their rides are different every week, which is also nice.