Old 08-17-03, 09:32 PM
Hunter
NOT a weight weenie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lotek,
The brakes have a 81 date stamp on them. As do the shift levers. however this would definately not be correct for the age of this bike. The serial number does not match up on any of the Vintage Raleigh charts. Also it appears that the wheels are also not original. It looks as if the frame, fork, headset, bar, crank, and stem are all that is left from its original build.
More oddities, the frame has a 531 BUTTED sticker on it not plain guage. However the shifters are braze on not bar end. The crank is Raleigh SR as are the bar and stem. It also apperas that the frame was brazed with Nervex lugs. The solder joints are gold. So I am thinking the original component spec may have been Suntour Cyclone, der's, Weinneman center pull brakes,(which I have a set of) and rims, with Raleigh SR everything else. I may just locate some of the original Cyclone der's and bolt those on.
By the way I just procured a vintage Trek 420 series lugged True Temper Cro Mo frame all Suntour Cyclone with a Superbe Pro crank. Total rebuild cost on these two bikes will be about $100. Pics soon!