Old 09-06-06, 08:44 PM
BroMax
The Other White Meat

Bikes: Raleigh Sports 3 speed, Torker T-530

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think the Burley Runabout 7 answers all your requirements.

Originally Posted by markjenn
Okay, I've looked through the forums and googled for hours. But I'm not finding the new commuter bike I'm looking for. Perhaps someone can help.... I want something low-maintenance and rugged, but not too clunky - 26 miles is a fair amount, I'm not in great shape, and I hate going super slow. Cost is not a huge factor and the bike will be inside my office while at work.

I like the bike a lot but it's beyond my means. The not-too-clunky requirement is a subjective judgement.

I like the ride of steel and Ti. I like disc brakes. I don't like to do maintenance so an internal hub gearing sounds cool, but I've got to have something with low-enough gears to tackle a couple big hills each way.
If the gearing is not low enough, you can replace the rear chainring with one that will give you a satisfactory low gear. It will also lower all your other gears but it can be changed again if you wish.

My initial thoughts are for a steel-frame cross bike with disc brakes, flat bars, SRAM or Nexus shifting, 32c tires, with fenders and a rack. Anybody make such an animal? That doesn't weigh 35 lbs?

- Mark
It has a rear drum brake (which I don't like because I can't spin the pedal back to about 2:00 while I'm stopped) but a front disc brake. You may be able to add fenders. Look in the specs for the other stuff--I don't recall seeing the weight anywhere. Burley calls this bike a commuter, not a cross