Old 09-08-06, 11:19 PM
ericgu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ricardo
Guys,
I am 26 years old and during the past month I have been cycling in order to shed some pounds off. I have been cycling with the help of a heart rate monitor, started three times a week for 45 mins working 100 percent of the workout in the weight loss heart rate target zone (around 60% of MHR). Also cutted carbs and fat consumption to less than half and replaced it with lots of veggies and fruits.

Almost one month after starting my program I've lost 4 pounds and I am very motivated with my achievements, however, I am concerned that my resting heart rate is too high +-76 BPM and my cadence is too low (60-70 cycles per min).

Is there a reason to be worried?? Are there any special workouts for improving cadence and resting heart rate? Could I still lose weight at the same pace I have been sheding it? Should I alternate both workouts or finish my weight loss program and then start my heart rate-cadence workout?
Ricardo.
You are doing the right sorts of workouts to lose weight and improve your cardio health.

Over time you will likely reduce your resting heart rate, but resting and max heart rates vary from person to person. Even in crappy shape, I'm still in the low 60s, and when I'm trained pretty well, I'll be in the low 40s. But I have a larger than average heart, and my max heart rate is a little lower than you'd expect in somebody my age.

Most road cyclists aim to be in the 90-100 RPM range, but that's with clipless pedals. It's harder to get high cadences if you aren't clipped in, and you can bark you shins if you slip off. There's nothing to worry about riding at 60-70 RPM as long as your knees tolerate it well.

Hope that helps

2005 Trek 5.2 Madone, Red with Yellow Flames (Beauty)
199x Lemond Tourmalet, Yellow with fenders (Beast)

Read my cycling blog at http://riderx.info/blogs/riderx
Like climbing? Goto http://www.bicycleclimbs.com