Old 09-10-06, 07:50 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by froze
I was talking about both the ultrabright HID's and Halogen as well as the little luxeon jobs. You might be right if the price is right, but you would still have to increase the lens size substantially over what bike lights are today that at the most are only 2" across. To the best of my knowledge I don't think I've encountered any of those new $1,200 plus lights yet...and I'll be surprised if I ever do.

There are by the way, increasing smaller lights on a few of the newer cars that just look odd and not as noticable as the larger designed len's, but they offset some of that lack of noticablity with a weird violet hue to the light.
My small diameter bike light is brighter and much easier to see from any angle than a large diameter car light and from any distance. You do not have to increase the diameter. The focus of the Welch Allyn bulbs that are the basis for all the bike HID lights are not focused like the complicated lens on a car and are much easier to see from an angle. My beam goes out to almost 90 degrees.

The weird violet hue lights in cars are HID bulbs, and some rip off halogen copies made to look like HID bulbs.

Originally Posted by slvoid
There are guys here who's bike lights are brighter than motorcycle lights...

I have also been mistaken for a train coming. If only I had a train whistle.