View Single Post
Old 09-11-06, 08:12 AM
Denny Koll

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Perhaps so. Bicycling advocates presumably have a different agenda: getting more people to consider riding a bike more often. Not necessarily the same thing as selling more bikes, more expensive bikes, and/or more bike accessories/clothing.

The marketers sold a zillion inappropriate (for the general public) uncomfortable, impractical ten-speed "racers" at all price ranges in the 70's to receptive adults and youth who became disgusted with bicyling after being sold a bill of goods.

I think as far as marketing to the masses(of mostly lazy people) the easier you make it seem the better. Most people don't enjoy exercise and the easier you make it seem the more they will like it. That's why folks gobble up diet pills and if there were an instant workout pill folks would probably pick that too.

I remember this infomercial for this product called the Trike which was supposed to be a combination of a scooter and inline skates. Well those bastards in the infomercial has huge smiles plastered on their faces as they tried to make this goofy product seem easy and fun. In real life the unlucky few I have seen on these look confused and irritated...probably thinking about those smiling bastards on TV.

To some people unless you have a big old smile plastered on your face and your waving to everyone you see like the guy in the erectile disfunction commercial, you must not be enjoying yourself.

An intense workout may not cause you to smile and wave incessantly but it sure is a lot of fun.