Old 09-11-06, 10:34 PM
bigskymacadam
so whatcha' want?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A Recovery Ride

A short recovery ride. But, a recovery ride from what?! The doldrums, of course.

Main Entry: dol·drums
Pronunciation: 'dOl-dr&mz, 'däl-, 'dol-
Function: noun plural
Etymology: probably akin to Old English dol foolish
1 : a spell of listlessness or despondency
2 often capitalized : a part of the ocean near the equator abounding in calms, squalls, and light shifting winds
3 : a state or period of inactivity, stagnation, or slump

The weather was awesome and the gears, the legs, the rhythm worked flawlessly. I did cough up a lung up the first climb and it took a long while for the pipes to clear. The sun was settings as I headed westbound and I thought how perfectly invisible I was to traffic because of the glare. I turned around changing the route to a safer climb up towards OHSU. I stayed in the big ring up, up and around and kept it up on the climbs up Corbett. I still had some power in the legs, but the lungs took the most of beating during my hiatus. I would not last too long. Still, I filled my belly with air and remembered to push it all out on the exhale. Steady. Like Jamie Paolinetti in opening of "The Hard Road". That was all I could hear.

It wasn't hard by any means, but in my head it was a win. However, it wasn't about the weather or the bike or the route.

It was about riding. I needn't be fast today. Or strong. Or even having my clothes match. (But I like to match, hence the Hammer kit). I just needed to ride. And it really goes without saying, ride for those who can not ride.

taken 09/11/2006 - Seems like weeks since I've ridden. Checking the gears. Yes, I have neglected the bar tape.

* Distance 12.03 miles
* Elevation 1,227 ft

Cycling Rocks! | Local Race Photos