Old 09-14-06, 08:06 PM
bmike
Bye Bye

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by scottbot84
I like it, but i wanna see one in action to know if it makes sense. Seems like a good alternative to hub genrators, but I would still want at least some cheapo lights to back it up. Those magnets do look awful big though, and i bet they're a lot heavier than reflectors.
I don't think it is a "good" alternative (granted, I've never seen it in action!) - a good hub generator will put out 6w of steady power. With the right optics and bulbs you get a very useable light. Add a small blinky to be seen, and if you want, small light on your bars for cue sheets / maps, and you can ride all night.

I doubt this will put out enough light to navigate country roads after dark (or even at dusk, when its even harder to see!)

And I don't buy there light without penalty to the rider. There is no free lunch. Its either a weak light, or the magnetic field will create drag, just like a hub dyno. The website is very vague about specifics. No watts, power, or brightness noted.