genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by N_C
I do. Correct me if I'm wrong but you're saying if a LCI does not train enough students for what ever reason, lack of interest, etc, he may forget what to teach unless he take refresher courses. Also you're saying there is a lot of cyclists & not enough of an interest amongst those cyclists to take the LAB courses. I do not know how many I expdct to train each year, yet. I have to get my training under my belt first. Then I'll go from there. What I do know is myself & others who will become LCI's with me have a 3 state area to cover, maybe 4. I will offer the courses I am able to teach for those that want to take it.
What I am saying is that without some driving force, cyclists are not prone to seek training. Period. There is no incentive.

The other thing I am saying is that due to the method of training... Trained cyclists will never be in the majority... so expecting a "critical mass" of cyclists to "lead" motorists et. al. into a "more co-operative road sharing world" just is not going to happen.

I am not saying the training shouldn't be done... but it should be done on a far grander scale... and as ILTB points out... there sure hasn't been much progress with LAB type education over the last 20 years. Even Forester (through a different message board) has admitted that.

I also find Forester rather tedious and poor reading... which may be part of the slow uptake for his stuff. Hurst reads far easier, and therefore is more likely to be comprehended.

Get your LCI training... offer the classes... but understand that you are barely scratching the surface of all cyclists in the people you reach. And sadly, those that need training the most, are the least likely to be aware that such training even exists.