Thread: LAB courses.
View Single Post
Old 09-15-06, 01:42 PM
GGDub
Dog is my copilot.

Bikes: Lemond Maillot Jaune, Specialized Stumpjumper, Kona Jake the Snake, Single-Speed Rigid Rocky Mtn Equipe, Soon-to-be fixed Bianchi Brava

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What determines that the instructor of these courses is competent to teach them? Just because you take a bunch of these courses in a row? Obviously for people new to cycling on the road these courses may offer a good starting point, but for someone like myself who has been riding on heavily trafficked (sp?) roads for close to 17 years, I don't see much value in them.

I also suspect these courses will be heavy on the liability avoidance side, i.e. teaching one to obey all the rules of the road, regardless of whether the law was contrived with motorists in mind, which in my experience is bunk. They wouldn't be able to teach skills which might contravene laws because of a threat of a lawsuit.

All that being said, if it makes you feel better on the bike, or if it gets more people riding then its a good thing.

BTW - I have never been hit or hit anything on my bicycle and the reason is because I use common sense, observation and have a healthy survival instinct.