Old 09-15-06, 02:31 PM
Extort
Dagger Boy

Bikes: 1999 GT 5.0i mountain, 2004 Basso Reef road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Genec, if all that you can contribute to bicyclists rights and safety is going to city council meetings, then I say THANK YOU! We need you there because some of us would rather be working with the people that do not know how to deal with traffic while riding. We all have our own parts to play.

Most of what you described about the LAB classes are correct and even during the LCI class, people were discussing methods to get proper bicycle training into schools and driver's education programs to make everyone play nice out there.

One path to increasing the visibility of these instructional programs was missed in the discussion above. The charity bike rides. In three months I was able to be in front of over 100 cyclists to teach them some additional cycling skills. Over the next few years, the MS Society is looking to institute a nationwide safety training program to try and reduce the number of incidences during the events. While this is not a complete Road 1 class (3 hours, not 20 hours), we are able to inform people about the laws governing their travel, some general guidelines on handling yourself on a bike, and other basic information that some of the students did not know about.

And to every experienced cyclist that says 'I don't need to take that class, I already know this stuff' really needs to have their head examined. They might not learn as much as a newbie, but the classes are not geared towards morons and I'll bet that everyone learns at least one thing during the day. Yes, even people that have been riding for 30 years with no problems.

**edit** I cannot believe that people passed up the perfect opportunity to pick on HH and N_C. They get enough grief in every other thread that I assumed that people would be lining up to write post #22!