View Single Post
Old 09-17-06, 08:46 PM
kleng

Bikes: Litespeed L1r, Litespeed Ghisallo 07, TCR Advanced Team SL 0 ISP, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Giant TCR Advanced Team - T-Mobile, Giant Propel Advanced SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jtree
squeak squeak squeak. wtf? i replaced my old cleats and for a week the squeak went away. now it's back. i even replaced the plastic insert on the top of the pedal. it is worse than a squeak. it's like two banshees shrieking at the moon. it's so loud it's embarrassing when i encounter another rider or a pedestrian. if you left a bike in the rain for 15 years and then rode it down the block there would be less squeaking. i put some grease on the cleats and the squeaking went away for one ride. today it came back in the middle of a 50 miler. it was so irritating i wanted to ride my bike off a cliff.

is this a common problem with shimano pedals/cleats?
I've ridden my dura-ace spd-sl for 3000km and I could'nt get them to squeak if I tried, maybe the squeak is from the contact between the retention clip and the pedal, rather than the cleat and the pedal base.
I've got my pedals set to the lowest clip tension and have the cleat tightened as much as possible. Is the alloy body on the pedals worn at all ? Cleat angle on the shoe can also be the culprit.