View Single Post
Old 09-18-06, 06:54 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by DrPete
Taking the lane routinely makes no sense. I mentioned it in another thread, but basically the lane is where ALL of the rear-end collisions take place between vehicles. Lucky for cyclists it's usually car vs. car, but far more common than the isolated veer-into-the-bike-lane collisions. You never hear about how often cars get rear ended because it happens so damned much. If cyclists were to join the party, do you honestly think that your bike is going to work any better than that car at getting a motorist's attention, and how do you think your bike and body will fare compared to the car?
If you would read what's being said about taking the lane on a road where there is room to move over, you'd realize that no one's saying to get out in the lane and sit there. The point is to be where people are looking but yield to faster traffic when it's approaching. I don't see how that will cause rear ending accidents. Riding off to the right where you are less conspicuous to approaching traffic and generally on an inferior road surface and when there is no same direction traffic makes no sense to me.

As to which accidents are more common, the most common bicycle/auto accidents seem to be left and right hooks, both of which can be avoided by being in the lane at intersections.