Old 09-18-06, 11:59 AM
Bobby Lex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RockyMtnMerlin
I am a noobie race official. So this was an interesting case study for me. The only reference I can find in the USCF rule book which might apply here is rule 4H8 (a) "Sprints." It is, "Failure to maintain line during a sprint or other irregularities." It is supposed to be a "$35 fine and relegation to the back of the group." Perhaps the official thought this was an irregularity. I could find nothing in the rulebook or on the USA cycling website for officials case studies or in the May 2006 rules changes which states that Cat 4/5 must have thier hands on the bars when crossing the finish line. Nor was there anything in the race bible. Of course I can't know if the Chief Referee empahsized this at the start of Cypress' race. I also did not look at the previous thread mentioned to Cypress. Obviously I was not there, but looking at the photo it seems to me that the gap between first and 7th and 8th is quite substantial and the fact that they were inattentive after crossing the finish line should not have been "blamed" on Cypress. As to the shouting thing, if it was as portrayed, it was uncalled for.

Now for the comment by Dead Roman. I am an "old guy" at age 54. I officiate races because I love cycling (having ridden nearly 100,000 miles) and enjoy racing (as a spectator - I have never raced). But more importantly, I officiate because where I live the USCF and ACA are begging people to be officials. In NM they are even saying they may have to cancel races. Not many people want to officiate because it takes so much time and effort. So if Mr Dead Roman can get a few of his young buck racer freinds to take time out from their racing/training schedules to become officials then they can take my spot and there will be one less "old hack *******" to interfere with his fun.

Finally FWIW, I have seen dozens of cat 4/5 racers cross the finishline without thier hands on the bars and not get relegated.
I race in Florida. Here's what our local USCF official has to say in the "New Racer's Guide" (third paragraph):

http://www.floridacycling.com/NewRacer.asp

I couldn't find it in the actual USCF rules, either. But there is a general "don't-do-anything-stupid-or-dangerous" rule. I guess this is one of the applications.

Bob