View Single Post
Old 09-18-06, 04:16 PM
Blue Order

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My mother almost hit a cyclist

I was talking on the phone with her today, and somehow the subject of bicycles came up-- -- and she mentioned that she almost hit a bicyclist. She went to get some take-out at a restaurant. It was near dusk, with low light conditions, and she was in the driveway, watching approaching traffic, waiting for traffic to pass so she could pull out into the street. After traffic had passed, she looked both ways, then took her foot off the brake, but hadn't yet applied gas, when a wrong-way cyclist riding on the sidewalk crossed in front of her. She didn't see him until he was directly in front of her.

I asked if he had lights on his bike; she wasn't sure. I asked if he was wearing a helmet; she said yes. The main problem here was that he was riding wrong way-- she was watching oncoming traffic, although she did briefly look the other way before proceeding. He compounded that error by riding on the sidewalk. She said "If he had been in the street, I would have seen him, even if he was riding the wrong way."