Old 09-18-06, 07:02 PM
mulvamj
Mad Mike

Bikes: Cannondale T2000 & tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The century is now a little less than 2 weeks away, and i thought i'd tell you all where i'm at. The third weekend before the event, i did 66 miles. I didn't really know what to eat, so i ate lots of crap food (snickers, baby ruth, peanuts, honey bun and a blueberry muffin), whatever i could find on the way to keep me going. When i got home, i was starving and ate a big leftover dinner (chicken, potatoes, veggies), napped for a few hours and woke up with pangs that felt like food poisoning. I ended up throwing up, and then felt much better. I think that must have been because my GI system was shut down after such a long ride (for me). So that was the third weekend before the event. Total miles for that week was about 120. The thing that ride taught me was that i can handle the legwork, but my ass was sore and chafed. So now i'm figuring that the hardest part of the century will be to endure the pain in the ass. Any suggestions here? Can i use my wife's Brazilnut body butter, or do i have to buy some expensive cream?

Last weekend (two weekends before the event) i rode the usual 18 mile ride on friday and then a 36 mile ride on sunday. I should be able to get 100 miles in for the week if i can get out of the lab early enough a couple days this week, plus my commuting.

So that's where i'm at now. I'm committed to the 100 miles, though. I know i can do it, it's just a matter of enduring the pain, i think.