View Single Post
Old 09-18-06, 08:19 PM
moxfyre
cyclist/gearhead/cycli...

Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hammertoe
Ah....I have been fighting with the gearing configurations for some time.....I use this web site: http://www.panix.com/~jbarrm/cycal/cycal.30f.html
I guess I am still wondering if the mechanics will work. Can the MTB BB and cranks fit on the road frame? I have no experience with the MTB components. Does it have the same standards as road components.
Yes, standard MTB cranks/BBs will fit a road frame, no problem. All MTB BBs are standard English/ISO threaded. The main difference is that most chainrings for MTB cranks are mounted on a 4-arm spider rather than a 5-arm spider. Thus the chainrings are not interchangeable.

I am not that concerned about weight. I don't want a 24 pounder but I must do this on a budget. I have a wife watching me do this....
I hear that, I'm a semi-broke grad student

Edit...moxfyre....Do I guess your at Maryland....I am Alumni and big Terp fan...
timcupery....do I have to explain why I do not like the color blue....
Yep! I'm a PhD student in physics and I love it here at UMD. I love the Terps b-ball and lacrosse games! Were you around for the national championship? Tim and I should be mortal ACC enemies, I suppose

EDIT: On the other hand, I was born in Chapel Hill, and one of my earliest memories is of my dad explaining to me that the sky is Tarheel Blue

Last edited by moxfyre; 09-18-06 at 08:33 PM.