Old 09-19-06, 08:24 AM
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow

Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Perhaps I need to give a little more background. I am a scientist with an excellent understanding of nutrition and physiology. I also understand how to train.

Before my weight gain which is medication related to some extent, I was very athletic and ran track as a sprinter, ran cross country, rode horses, went mountain biking and so on. Since I excelled as a sprinter and even at one point could leg press over 450 lbs, I know I have the capacity for fast twitch fibers and powerful legs.

I am okay at endurance and will probably never be more than okay. I ran cross country to get into shape for track, but being short with really short legs doesn't help me as a distance runner. It is less of an issue on the bike, but none the less, I am am clearly suited for bursts of power.

Those stating that I shouldn't get too hung up on weight, clearly have never lugged out the kind of weight that I am. Just imagine strapping a 40lb bag of dogfood to your back, then another one on your stomach and start doing 100 miles or more a week. Then come back to me telling me how the weight doesnt matter.

I know that the biggest component in acheiving fitness is to exert myself. Weight loss alone will not make me more fit.

In fact, I am probably more fit than most skinny people, especially women who do crash diets and basically ignore exercise. I am following weight watchers which is a healthy program and no fad diet. I would never bother with something as ridiculous as a cabbage soup diet. When you have 80 lbs to lose, a couple of days of soup ain't gonna cut it.

Despite all of our limitations, if we train hard enough we can do reasonably well at anything. I used to run a 22-23 minute 5k as a woman with a 26 inch inseam. This is okay and could beat many many women out there. I am far better as a sprinter, but it is cr@p when people say you weren't blessed with "xyz" so it is hopeless.