View Single Post
Old 09-19-06, 12:44 PM
donrhummy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slowandsteady
HUh? If you want to increase your flexibility, you need to stretch. Having flexibility allows you to do a split without ripping muscles. Having flexibility allows you to be a first baseman in baseball. Having flexibility allows you to move into positions with less pain. It allows you to run hurdles. It allows you to slip and fall without pulling a muscle if you should fall funny.

But, as a cyclist, I do not see any need to stretch. None at all. There is very little movement on a bike that is out of the normal ranges of motion. But if you are like most people and actually do more than just ride a bike 24 hours a day, you may want to increase your flexibility. Just be sure to stretch when warmed up to avoid injuries.
I think part of the problem is that poster's lack of knowledge about stretching. I think they're referring to static stretching, on which the "jury is still out" as to its benefits towards physical activity. Personally, I notice a positive difference when i stretch every day. I actually get injured biking if I don't stretch for a while.

As to his friend who hurts herself with Yoga/stretching that's because it sounds like she misunderstands them like most people. A lot of people try to stretch way beyond the capabilities/length of their muscles and when they do that, they not only tear muscle but also connective tissue. When you stretch, the muscle fiber is pulled to its full length sarcomere by sarcomere, and when they're all in full length, any further stretching will occur at the connective tissue. Proper stretching will NOT tear muscle. That is a complete misunderstanding of it. Rather, it realigns the sarcomeres -- a positive thing.

In addition to stretching (look into both static and dynamic stretching) you should look into strengthening the opposing muscles to your hamstring. If they're too weak, this can act as though you're less flexible. HTH.