Thread: Winter fixie...
View Single Post
Old 09-21-06, 11:57 AM
marqueemoon
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mos6502
Personally I value coasting over receiving wheel feedback - truth is both are useful in slick conditions, it just depends on what your riding style is to determie which is more useful to you. I've had a couple of fixed bikes, and never thought they'd be any better than anything else in the snow (my three speed being the prefered "all weather" bike since it has fenders and the gears are safe from the elements inside the hub).
I agree. It doesn't get cold enough around here for traction to win out over coasting. Here winter means rain, not snow and ice. The traction of fixed is great in my experience, but when you factor in darkness and crappy streets I prefer being able to get out of the saddle and "float" over the rough stuff which is possible but kind of annoying to do on a fixed gear since the pedals are always moving. I like fixed better when I can see where I'm going.

In really snowy conditions I think fixed would be scary too due to the pedal strike issue. You don't know exactly what's under that snowbank and as long as the bike is moving the pedals are moving. On plowed streets and hard packed snow it would probably be nice though.