View Single Post
Old 09-21-06, 02:31 PM
mcoons

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
29er, Hybrid or Cross Bike?

So I’ve been going around in circles trying to decide which bike to get for commuting. I’ve been riding my Bianchi Pista fixed for the 8.5 mile – bike-bus-bike(3.5 + 5), which I really enjoy, but want to get something that I can put fenders/racks/panniers on… and ride through the winter. I’ve looked at the hybrids, like the trek 7300 or the Giant Cypress or the Bianchi Milano– and I’ve looked at the Cross-Check. I’ve been contemplating a 29-er, which would give me the option of off-roading, and if I ride all the way home from work – 23 miles, there are some rough shoulders with big potholes that effectively broke one of the rails on my seat last week...plus I want something that can handle some muck that we get in the winter - slush, snow, (but not enough Ice to warrant the studded tires).

If I put 700 x 30 slicks on the 29er, will it be fairly zippy? I’m not too concerned about the gearing (as I’m happy with 1). What about putting the 7 or 8 speed internal hub on?

The bikes I’m looking at are in the $4-900 range, but I haven’t found the exact right bike.

Anyone use a 29er Mountain Bike for commuting?