Old 09-25-06, 09:04 AM
JoeOxfordCT
JoeWolcottCT

Bikes: Cannondale

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I could just get rid of these cramps !!

.....I could hammer away for hours on end...

Hi All,

Did a metric century yesterday.
Fall Harvest in Westport CT. http://www.soundcyclists.com/Harvest2.htm

Rode with some folks from work for the first 20 miles...pace was leisurely.
After the rest stop I told the others that I was going to ride ahead at my own pace.
I picked it up and rode both solo and with other riders at what I would call a training or hard pace. The weather was cool but humid. The terrain was flat to rolling...no big climbs. I hydrated and ate throughout the ride. At about 40 miles I started to feel like I was at the edge of some calf cramps and ate about 4 Tums, something I had read about as helping to eliminate cramps. Then, with about 18 miles to go I was riding solo and was caught by a couple guys riding fast on Ti bikes. I latched on and rode with them taking pulls when I could but I was definitely the weakest of the group. All the while I was right at the edge of getting cramps.....I could feel it starting to come on and then since I was drafting, I could sit up and stretch it out on the bike and continue riding...I took 2 more Tums and we finished together. I complimented the guys on their fast pace and packed up to go home.

Last night I stretched while watching the Giants get hammered by Seattle I felt sluggish this morning but rode 10 miles before work.

All in all I was happy with my effort yesterday....however, if I rode my training pace from the start instead of from 20 miles on I think I might have had to deal with cramps earlier than at the 40 mile mark.
Two, as I posted here last week, I did give blood last Thursday so I can't say how much, if any, difference that may have made.

I am very happy with my bike setup and feel that I hydrate & eat properly both before & during ride however I can't seem to get past this cramping thing....it really wasn't too bad yesterday but I've been forced off my bike by them on previous long rides....

As for training I typically get in 3 rides during the week before work of 10-20 miles...Saturdays I get a 25-30 miler in and Sundays can be anything from 35-70 miles depending on my schedule. My rest days are typically Thursdays & Fridays.

I don't really have time to ride any more....my resting on Thursdays & Fridays is forced because I have to leave the house early for work. I do weights for my upper body twice a week at the gym at work. I'm 5'10" & 180lbs......ideally I'd like to be 170 but I do like to eat..

Any suggestions ??