Old 09-26-06, 08:07 PM
johnnygofaster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help me find the simple, reasonable solution

SITUATION: I have an old 12 speed for my commuter. The wheels are complete junk. Just broke 2 spokes in the rear and I'm unmotivated to replace them. The front seems to flex before my eyes. The spokes are rusted into the nipples. The bearing races are scored. Not even Phil's fancy grease makes them quiet.

The brakes have enough room where I can put 700c wheels on it.

OPTIONS (that I can think of):

1- Get wheels re-built. (Seems like a waste of money for single wall department store wheels).
2- Buy new wheels. (But I can't find new wheels with old-school freewheel. If I did I think they'd be pricey)
3- Have new wheels built with freewheel hub. (Can't find a freewheel hub. The one I have is junk).
4- Convert to contemporary freehub. (I have an extra 105 derailleur, but I think the chainring/crank would need replaced. This bike is 17 years old so I don't know if that's possible).
5- Make it a fixed-gear bike. (Yeah, not a great option, but I could).

Am I missing the best, simplest, cheapest options? Every one of these just doesn't seem worth it for this bike. Also, have I made some fatal assumptions? (i.e. didn't look hard enough for a new freewheel hub or wheel).

Thanks a bunch. I mean, a TON.
Brian