View Single Post
Old 09-27-06, 07:43 AM
Cassiel240

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Almost squashed...and prolly my fault

So, this is my confessional and my "help me get back in the saddle" post. On my way to school yesterday morning, traffic was backed up a long, long way, so I cautiously started passing on the right in the bike lane (yes, I know, frequently a bad idea, but I was looking for a spot to cut over and make a left turn so I could get off the busy main road). As I was doing this, I failed to note that a truck was stopped in front of an intersection so as not to block the turn. Meanwhile, a van was turning left (facing me) across my lane, and my front wheel nearly kissed his back tire. I have never been so scared in my life. I couldn't stop in time, and I sort of wobbled and kept going, JUST missing him. This was all stupidity and some distractedness on my part - I was looking for a way to get off that road rather than paying attention - so I feel really horrible about it. But I'm also really terrified. I didn't have to ride home last night because I had to drop my bike at the shop (just for a 30 day tuneup because the bike is new) and take the bus home, though the ride to the shop from school was uneventful. How do you cope with the fact that, really, biking can be so dangerous? I know the quotes that per mile, cycling is safer than walking or driving, with fewer accidents. Yet I hear of a lot of cyclists being killed, and I've had some close calls over the last several years - though nothing like yesterday. I like my life. I'm only 26, and I'd like to see a lot more of it. I guess I'm just shell-shocked; it's not like I won't bike to school again tomorrow once I get my bike out of the shop. I'm still having a lot of anxiety, though.