Old 09-27-06, 07:08 PM
guruguhan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the information everyone, I've got a lot to think about. For the reasons above I'm going to go with a mtn crank. I read the article over on Peter White about determining a crank length. I used a measuring tape and from the floor, to what I think is the top of my femur measures around 38" (965mm), 18.5% of this would give me 178.5mm. I will most likely be getting a Shimano crankset - if, for example, I get an XT crank, I have the option of 175mm or 180mm, the LX only goes to 175mm I guess. Keeping my precious knees in mind, which generally results in more comfort - a somewhat shorter, or longer crank?

I will be ordering a 13-34 9spd rear from Harris. Front will be 44-32-22 (LX,XT or XTR). Rear derailleur XT (long cage-which I already have-is it ok?), front will get the same as crank. Assuming all that, what chain should I get - any recommendations?

The whole fork thing is bothering me, I can't seem to do any planning until I have measured the frame. Doesn't Giant always use the same stem size (1" or 1.125"?). What is the headset? If I can find out the stem size, without knowing if the frame is threaded or not, can I order any 1" or 1.125" fork. After I get the fork, then I can get an idea about the wheels (will use an XT rear hub, SON front, marathon tires as wide as possible for the fork and frame, I don't think 35 will be a problem).

I don't know which rims to get, I know to get 36 spokes. Any suggestions? If both Peter White and Harris have the rim I want, I'd like to ask Harris to build the rear wheel and Peter White to build the front. So I'm looking for a good, common rim that will easily take 32-35c tires.

Brakes will be Shimano 105, there is a used pair at the LBS. The frame is disc brake compatible, and I would like to have the extra stopping power maybe in the future (see how it goes). How difficult is it to have both brake systems on the same bike (overkill and chunky?) I won't be doing the disc brake thing now, just curious.

That's about it. Thanks a lot for explaing the whole gear thing to me everyone! I understand it much more having read this.

Last edited by guruguhan; 09-27-06 at 09:02 PM.