View Single Post
Old 09-28-06, 08:10 AM
MotoMan
Old Crank

Bikes: Bianchi Eros; Motobecane Grand Touring; Nashbar Fra-may;Motobecane Grand Jubilee;Bianchi Advantage; Puegout UO-8;Specialized Mtn Bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fun to read about riding in Portland. Someday when I retire (~10-12yrs), my wife and are thinking of buying a condo in Portland, in town, maybe near the Old Port section. I am from Maine originally (Greenville, GO LAKERS!) and someday think of moving back. I live in Vermont and am spoiled by the great road biking aroung here (Upper CT River Valley). I would like to know more about biking in the Portland area. I would be mostly carless. How is the road biking? How is the urban biking in town? How about bike paths? In my misspent youth I lived in Boston, riding my bike as a commuter and as a messanger (Marathon Messanger, I wonder if it is still there...) while in college so I am used to urban riding years ago. However, I went to my college reunion this spring and took my bike with me. I road around some of my old rides. I had forgotten some of the edge of urban riding after being too mellow in Vermont. Davis Sq./ Mass Ave in Cambridge/Somerville/Arlington seemed busier. I did enjoy the Minuteman Rail/Trail to Concord/Bedford. How does Portlan compare to Boston? Are the roads bike friendly or an urban free for all?

MotoMan
An Old Geezer in Hilly Vermont