View Single Post
Old 09-28-06, 09:06 AM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
But so are a lot of other bikes. Plus the website for the Surlys makes me what to hurl! The guy on the Crossc Check in the midrif outfit is just...creepy
That dude is the whole reason I was originally going to get a Cross-Check. I was hoping that I could be that cool, too.

Seriously, though... Surly makes good, solid frames that are designed around specific purposes, with the exception of the Karate Monkey, which is designed around every purpose and has more places to attach stuff than my expedition backpack.
Since you're looking to stay w/ a fixie, check out the bikes at IRO and compare them with the Surly bikes. I was going to go with a Cross-Check at first, but then found the IRO Rob Roy. I'm partial to the track ends that IRO uses on all their models, instead of the long-ish horizontal drops on the X-Check. Plus, the Rob Roy hasn't got a derailleur hanger or shifter brazes to detract from the smooth lines of a SS/FG ride.
Overall, they're both good bikes. Check the frame geometry, decide which one will fit you better, and if that's not an issue then just go for which one you think looks cooler.

Or if you really like the Schwinn conversion you're riding, wait for the release of the new Schwinn Madison. That bike is getting some good reviews over on the SS/FG forum.