View Single Post
Old 10-02-06, 03:53 PM
Gotte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specialized allez Epic...a dog?

There's a chap I know offering a Specialized Allez Epic. I'm kind of concerned about the frame - I heard they have issues, but I was wondering about the components, Richey hubs, alexrims rl 2002 rims, Shimano 105 levers/changers, rear derailier, RSX chainset and carbon fork. Oh, it's a 9 speed rear cassette, not the 7 or 8 I've read about on other Epics. I'm told it was owned before the present owner by a semi-pro (I trust his word). I can;t work out whether this is a good thing or bad, though. I'm guessing that it means the machine has been hammered, but, on the plus side, hasn;t come apart yet.
It's £250, the lot. I don;t know, but I'm guessing that's too high for a 13 yr old bike with issues. I've had a look around, and some folks do seem to like them, but I hear warnings all the time about the BB separating from the tubes (this one's BB is silver, not grey - which apparently is the troubling kind). Also, the frame has a few chips through the laquer and to the carbon, which I understand is not good. How much is a sensible offer to make? Like I said, I'm unsure of the frame, but the 9 speed 105 is interesting to me (and the various other bits and bats)