stinkyonions
i chew straws

Bikes: scattante road bike, raleigh rush hour, khs flite, schwinn stingray

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
spend my money!! help me build my new rig

so i am going to be building up a new rig. it will pretty much be my do everything thrash around campus, trail riding and beginning freeride. i want to start riding more aggressively for a few reasons.

a) my old bike is realllllyy old for what i am riding now
b) adrenaline rush
c) challenge myself

so far i am leaning towards getting a cove stiffee fr since it seems to fit the bill for being able to cover more styles of riding rather than being super specific. it also is a fairly light frame i think so i wouldn't have to bust my butt riding up hills. it doesn't seem super slack either. i checked out the frames on unrealcycles, but they seem to be too slack to be used for trail riding and more towards dirt jumping and hardcore urban riding. i also was looking at the craftworks rail since it is in the same price range. as for the parts ....

thankfully our the collegiate team i am on gets insane deals on parts. so most of the stuff will probably be from the distrobution catalog minus a few things i'll have to pay full price for.

fork: marzocchi dj series ( ii or i. how hard is it to adjust the travel on them if i wanted it to the 110mm? reduced setting?)
drivetrain: xt (probably 2002 stuff since its extremely cheap-er)
brakes: disc of some sorta (i have read only positive stuff about avid mechs. i was thinking either the 185mm or 203mm rotors. they seem to be less of a hassle maintenance wise. i could also get hydros (hayes or hope) if i decided to go that route.)
bb: no idea
seatpost: thomson of some sort
wheels: no idea either. disc compatible.
seat: i saw azonic ones in our catalog
stem: ??
headset: ??
pedals: cranks brothers mallet c (they look soooo cool. anyone have them?)
cranks: race face most likely
tires: maxxis of some sort??

i know i probably left stuff off since i have never built up a bike completely before. so if you think of anything i should know, just let me know. any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED since all my experience lies in xc and road. and don't worry, i'll post pictures when it is all built up too! just pretend like you are spending my cash to build your bike, but doing it on a college budget!!