View Single Post
Old 09-08-03, 03:32 AM
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally posted by bac
Where I live, you simply cannot obey the rules of the road and survive. If you do obey the rules of the road, you will get run over or struck by impatient motorists. Motorists just don't think cyclists should be on the road, and they don't give any space or time. You have to cut corners, run lights, etc. As a matter of pure survival, I routinely pop on and off the road onto sidewalks, etc.

As ironic as it sounds, it's the most safe way to ride.
I'm with Rich on this one. I'd like to see anybody on this forum describe "dangerous" behaviour from motorists that doesn't normally happen around here. Drunks? They start at 7am everyday. Red light runners? Yep. Speeding? Is there anyone that doesn't (apart from those who can't because they're stuck in traffic)?

The whole point is, such circumstances make it even more important to ride properly and predictably. Weaving in and out of traffic is not going to make you any less likely to be hit by drivers who do not care (or those who deliberately try to hit you). However, it will make life harder for the considerate drivers out there (and yes, they do exist).

That is all.