Old 10-03-06, 06:46 PM
Jarpmann
meh...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
had my first spill today... why?

well, i finally had the pleasure of experiencing road rash first hand. hopefully you all can shed some light on why. FWIW, i have a new(three week old) specialized allez elite with less than 200 miles on it, which i love. tires are specialized pro(?) pumped up to 120 PSI, mounted on alex 298 rims. i was just warming up and comming to a slight downhill which runs into a three-way intersection. after checking all three ways, and only seeing a car behind me a good distance(100-150meters behind), i decided i would take the corner slightly more aggressively than usual(first mistake?..). the corner is about a 45 degree corner back up a slight grade(315 degrees? either way its pretty much back up the hill i am currently riding down.) so i swing way out on the road that im going down to cut down the angle and enter the turn at about 17-18 mph. the next thing i hear is the explosive decompression of my rear tire. before i know it im sliding across the asphalt. luckily i saved the frame from getting scratched, but the bar tape is in pretty sad shape, bifter is scratched, the rear der. is scratched and so is my pedal. the guy in the car that was behind me actually is a professor at my college oddly enough, he offered to give me a ride home, but i was only about a quarter mile away from campus. the tire seemed like it "rolled" off about half the rim(if that makes sense...) tire seems to be fine, no punctures, or scrapes, i rubbed down the inside of the tire to check for any sharp objects, and i checked the rim. nothing seemed out of the ordinary. so, my question for you guys is why would my tire just decide to explode? any reason that you can think of? just a fluke of nature? any reason at all? im going to see if the lbs where i bought the bike will fix it, they have a lifetime parts warranty. but i would just like to know if there is something i can do to prevent this in the future.

P.S. im alright scratched up my ankle and knee pretty good, and got a nice patch of road rash on my thigh but other than that im fine.