View Single Post
Old 10-03-06, 09:07 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm also 225 and don't like riding a road bike. As others have said, there is really no issue about a bike holding up under your weight. However the problem will be finding a good condition hybrid/comfort bike used. Far fewer of them out there. My local used bike shop actually stocks new lower-end hybrids due to the shortage of used ones.

But it isn't impossible. Or you could find something that lets you sit fairly upright and get a nice, comfy seat. Or you could go with a road bike without worrying about the weight issue. Personally I've had it with road bikes and now consider them to be a form of bike hell. But that's a personal choice.

On my campus there are a lot of nice student bikes. And a lot of beat-up road bikes. If you will be parking it in a well-travelled area during daylight hours and use a good lock, odds are that you won't have a problem. And a Trek 7100 isn't the biking equivalent of a Porsche. Still I understand your concerns. Probably worth spending a bit of time looking for a used bike.