Old 09-09-03, 08:11 AM
trmcgeehan

Bikes: 1980 Univega; 1985 Ross; 1994 Trek 1400 -- all road bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you deflate your tires when your bike is in the sun?

I recently took a 750 mile trip from Kentucky to the Outer Banks of North Carolina. My bike was on a rack in the back. I read somewhere that you should not park your bike in the sun over long periods of time because the heat expansion will blow the tires. So half way through the trip, I deflated both tires, only to find that letting a little air out takes the tire from 110 pounds down to 70 or 80. I stopped at a LBS, and the wrench there said I needn't worry. He said most bike tires are designed to take DOUBLE the recommended maximum inflation pressure. If he's right, my Michelin Axial Carbons could have inflated to 220 pounds from the sun heat, and not been harmed. Is this true? Also, what effect does the air rushing over the bike tire when the car is moving have on pressure expansion? Does this negate the heat from the sun (the temp during my trip was in the low 90's).Thanks for your input.