View Single Post
Old 10-08-06, 09:11 AM
bcoppola
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, DIY light tourer built on on Scattante cross frame, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The apples of my eye (and pie)

Mrs. and I just got back from a jaunt to Elora, Ontario and environs. As usual (we've been visiting the area for nearly 20 years) we stopped at the Waterloo and St. Jacobs farmer's markets and came back with a half bushel of crisp, tart, Northern Spy apples. Yum! At least two pies will be filled and frozen this week plus another one baked for immediate consumption. I love spys for eating out of hand, too. No wimpy "Delicious" apples for this boy.

Also came back with my customary 4 liter jug of real maple syrup (light) plus a pint of dark syrup for cooking, a couple pounds of pea meal bacon ("Canadian" bacon with a coating of crushed yellow peas for a crisp rind when frying) and a nice hunk of sharp 4 yr. old locally made cheddar. Cheddar, of course, is one of the apple's best friends.

Mrs. is a non-rider so the bike stayed home, alas. Some pretty challenging looking hills around there, though. And I passed a club ride flying thru Fergus.