Old 10-09-06, 11:37 PM
BikeWise1
30 YR Wrench

Bikes: Waterford R-33, Madone 6.5, Trek 520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I appreciate your thoughtful response. I am passionate about doing things right, and even if the bikesdirect builders do a meticulous job, we all know even the best bikes need regular love. This love can be nearly free, or it can cost lots over the lifespan if you can't DIY your i-net bike. This love is what gets short shrift with internet bikes because those sellers don't want you think you're going to need the regular attentions of a wrench wielder, whether it be the rider or a shop. They want the buyer to feel like they are the hassle-free alternative. They have acquired the names of once revered marques in the hope of creating an atmosphere of value. "Motobecane? Oh yeah, I had one when I was in college-it was awesome. They're French right?" And Windsor and Dawes from jolly old England. A lot like Schwinn and Wal*Mart isn't it?

And to answer your question, I don't know how the i-net bikes are, but generally Trek's frames, even their Chinese-built ones are pretty much dead on for alignment, with decent welds and nice straight stays. They're not too light to last, unlike Bianchi's low end AL bikes. There's that lifetime warranty, too.

Last edited by BikeWise1; 10-10-06 at 12:01 AM.