View Single Post
Old 10-10-06, 05:17 AM
matthew_deaner

Bikes: Trek 5200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For a good, inexpensive no-frills workstand, check out the Ultimate BRS-50R Recreation Repair Stand from JensonUSA.com. I got mine for $76.00 last month; they may still be on sale. It's an excellent, solid stand - but lacks many of the adjustments found on more expensive stands. But that's no big deal to me... I don't need the "bells and whistles".

Regarding the chain - no need to buy a chain cleaner. Get a replacement chain pin from your LBS (usu. about $2) and use a chain breaker to pop that chain off your bike. Soak it in gasoline or paint thinner; whatever solvent you prefer. Shake it around a lot to get all the grit off. Let it dry, then install it on the bike. Lubricate each link individually and wipe off excess lube before riding.

If you don't like working with chain pins, you can use KMC MissingLink to join your chain back together. You can pick up a card of 6 of these for about $10-$12 at Jenson and they make the process much easier.

PS - If you have an SRAM chain then it may have a reusable "master" link installed that you can pop on and off to remove/install the chain.