Old 10-11-06, 12:43 PM
merider1
no more nellie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sweetharriet
Tied in with my pink hatred is suspicion of companies marketing to me as a "girl". I get belittled every day because I'm short and blonde, so yes, it's partially Napoleon complex, but it's also very real evidence that someone who wants my money can't be bothered to suck up a bit for it. I've been a grown-up with a real paycheck for about a decade. Offering only pink because you're trying to maximize economies of scale or whatnot will continually limit your growth. First company to offer me an honest range of me-specific products (and it's not just color, no, I notice when you don't change anything else) gets some lovin'. Otherwise I'll continue to spend it on booze to numb the harsh reality that we're stereotyped/recognized as society's major materialists but marketed to as if we're still dependents.
I think your point is very valid and well made, Sweetharriet. However, I feel the responsibility ultimately falls on us female consumers. Unfortunately (IMHO), a large majority of women buy the very products these companies market to us as "girls" with images that incorporate stereotypically female colors, textures, designs, etc. - just as men buy products that are marketed to them (which are typically marketed with images of "girl" models semi-naked and licking their “pink” lips). So, even if it is infuriating, it's a fact of our materialistic and gender-appointed society that is unlikely to change unless the demand for the color among the female population diminishes drastically, which to be fair – some women really like pink and have a right to wear it. So, yeah, I get pissed off when I walk in and all of the jerseys (to use cycling attire as one example) are either pink, hot pink, fuchsia or pastel shades of any color otherwise considered masculine - and often with pink flowers or butterflies stitched on them! So, I tend to buy men’s jerseys instead, and then the cut makes me look like a stuffed sausage because I have hips.