Old 10-11-06, 11:14 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by Owltooth
yeah well, on the road, "observers" are going 50 miles per hour (and usually ten miles faster than that if that's the speed limit), and the particular color of the flashing light doesn't matter if it gets their attention. the red flasher I have works, and I have plenty of reflectors and a bright vest also with reflectors, but still cars come up on me on those 3 miles of 50mph speed limit roads I ride at 10pm as if they just noticed me. Police cars have crazy strobes and flashing lights when they pull someone over, for their safety. You can see the flashing white lights (the little cateye LED ones) from much farther away than a red one. That's all I'm saying. I can't concieve of a situation where a car driver will think that I'm coming towards them, they'll see me from much further away and just get in the other lane sooner. (I'm only talking about commuting on real roads here, not the trail etc.)
What about a bike going in the wrong direction right at you? It's happened to me and a few others on the forum. If a car is coming behind you making some glare for the other bike they will have a hard time seeing much except the light. It's happened to me on a pitch dark road, and a pitch dark bike path too.

Originally Posted by mechBgon
Or there's The Taillight We Do Not Name Aloud™,