Old 10-12-06, 10:28 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by supercub
... I certainly could extend my commute, but my personality is such that not having a choice would work better......
Extending the commute is not as good an option in my mind for the simple reason that the riding is not necessary. Owning a house is kind of like having a second job, particularly if you're in the entry level market. There are things to fix, improvements to be made, and very likely there is someone at home who has a list of things for you to do.

Leaving earlier in the morning and coming home later in the evening just to go riding is difficult to justify if the only reason is to do more riding. This will be viewed by others as recreation and it will tend to get trumped by other demands on you because you perceived as selfish if you need recreation every day.

When your commute is simply longer, that's just how you get to work and the pressure goes away. It's an easy long term solution to maintain so long as you don't wuss out when conditions are sour.