Old 10-12-06, 05:58 PM
CrosseyedCrickt
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fenders on ATB with Disc Brakes

My commuter (for now) is my ATB, a 2005 Giant Rainier equipped with disc brakes. I have Topeak defenders for it but only use the front one as my rear rack makes it impossible to mount the rear fender.
These fenders have worked fine up until now at keeping goose feces out of my mouth on my commute. But today is another story.
Mother Nature decided to welcome us Michiganders to winter early. My 1hr commute today started off with cold rain, then turned to freezing rain, then to small hard ice pellets, then to freezing rain, then to sunshine, then to big fat wet snow flakes.
When I arrived at work I realized that I am in need of full fenders. This came to me as I scraped off all of the snow from the back of my helmet and my beard to make a snowball and toss it at one of my coworkers. That is when I noticed all the crap in my beard and on my back... rocks, mud, oil, ectoplasmic semen... you name it.
I have been eying Freddy Fenders but no LBS has them. In fact all of the bike shops I have stopped at (4 in total) seem to only cary the seat post mounted style fenders that I already own. Sure they have plenty of fenders for road bikes, but not for ATBs.
I installed my rear rack by bending the legs of the rack and using a longer mounting bolt and drill bushings as spacers to keep it from coming into contact with my rotor assembly.

Has anyone here with Disc brakes installed full fenders on their bike? Do they fit normally or do I need to MacGuyver them like I did my rack?