View Single Post
Old 10-12-06, 10:04 PM
obsidian
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What level of carbohydrates would be considered low in a diet? Do you have to be in ketosis for it to be a low carbohydrate diet? How many miles a week do you have to ride in order to be worthy of posting on this forum? What if you have a 10-12 hour a day job, a family, and a commute to deal with, are you not better off to limit carbohydrates in order to keep triglycerides down and thus LDL down?

What about this study r/t fats from the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition?

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/80/3/550

I work as a nurse and can tell you that I am still seeing the epidemic of heart disease passing by every day and am convinced that the major risk factor is blood glucose levels rather than cholesterol. Of couse, anything that goes against conventional wisdom is crackpot and heresy. Kind of make me feel like I might be in good company.

Either way, eat more fruit and vegetables, fish, fish oils, exercise and then you have to decide the other variables that everybody cannot agree upon. However, the above list is agreed upon by everything that I can find. Having suffered with metabolic syndrome, exercising as much as I can find time for and keeping the rest of my life together has lead me to believe that for my metabolism I have to be careful with carbohydrates.

If you accept evolutionary theory as a reality, there may be some truth to the low-carb ideas that are being tossed about. Do some research, don't think that it is all settled and make your choice and go for it.