View Single Post
Old 10-14-06, 09:55 AM
Mark Fear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry - I should have explained better!

I have a new (well new to me - got them second hand on eBay) pair of Mavic CXP33 clincher rims (got fed up with tubulars) on Ultegra 6500 hubs, on which I have put a 9-speed Ultegra cassette, and will use with a brand new pair of 9-speed Dura Ace downtube shifters - I was too tight to shell out for new 9-speed brifters when I'm currently only 'dipping my toe back in the water' after 12 or so years off my bike through laziness.

The GP4/Shimano 600 Uniglide combo are my old wheels, which are missing a few spokes and could generally do with some TLC, but they are nice wheels so I don't want to simply throw them away. I was thinking that I could sort the worn cogs out, put in some new spokes and true them up, and use them as a spare wheelset. That obviously means I'll need to use a 6-speed cassette with the rest of the bike rigged for my primary 9-speed wheels, so I won't want to be meddling with derailleur adjustments too much if I have it all trimmed up for those.

If I make it through the winter and am still taking it seriously, I plan to buy a whole new rig next spring with a properly integrated groupset etc - I just want what I have at hand to get me through to then.

Hope that makes more sense and you don't think I'm raving mad any more!