View Single Post
Old 10-15-06, 07:19 AM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
What's on your "Want" list?

I have quite a few bikes, but make no mistake - most of what I turn up in the Catch of the Day thread is sold on. Currently, I've a 50's Cantiflex HR Bates, a 70's Falcon Westminster, and 80's Nigel Dean frame that I'm building up fixed, an 80's Gazelle Trim Trophy, an 80's Raleigh Royal tourer (my workhorse), and a 90's EG Bates Track bike. I've been thinking about what I would buy in a second, and what I'd be tempted by.

Definites:

These are the bikes I'd buy on sight

A Coventry Eagle Kermesse - this was my first proper road bike, from 83. 531, Gippieme groupset, Rigida 700 x 21 rims. Not a truly great bike, but mine was stolen, and I'd really like one again!

A 70's Clements. These were not, I believe, Ernie Clements bikes, but built by his brother. I had one, it got left somewhere, and before I could pick it up (years later), it got thrown in the skip. Boo!

A Rotrax. They're my local builder, only recently shut down. I'd like either a full on roadie, or a track bike, with the most outrageous lugs imagineable. It should be a 60's one too, since I have nothing from that decade.

A Raleigh Record Sprint. This doesn't fit at all - it's not from a small handbuilder, it's not even top end for a Raleigh. They were 501 framed, mid range components, BUT, they were all black and gold, and I lusted after one when I was a kid. They still look good now. Maybe partnered with a Raleigh Super Burner (gold chrome frame, with black or gold everything else!)?

Nice to Have:

These are things I'd have trouble resisting, but I might try

A real 50's Ernie Clements, from his little shop pre Falcon. I've seen one, and it was gorgeous, but I restisted dropping £300 on it!

A Gitane Tour De France, or a Gitane Track - sweet

A top end Mercier, like the pink one that's in that bicycle museum. Saw one in a book when I was a lad, and wanted one ever since.

An Ephgrave - gorgeous.