Old 10-16-06, 04:05 PM
Carusoswi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roccobike
Absurd!
NO I did not follow the metal recycle truck to the landfill! I don't follow the paper recycling vehicle to be certain the paper lands up at a paper mill. And I certainly don't wait at the Advance Auto Parts store to be sure the oil recycling bin actually goes to an oil recycling site. I have a life and trust that others are making the correct decisions as to whether or not the demand for these materials merits recycling or not.
Why so huffy, Rocco?
No one is suggesting that you share any personal responsibility for the stuff you place in a recycling container once custody passes to a certified reclamation company. The only reason for my lengthy post was to point out that, in terms of what is best for the environment as it relates to chain cleaning/replacement, the answer is more complicated than it might seem at first glance.

If you read my previous post carefully enough, you will see that I did not take sides on what approach (cleaning/replacement) is most green - because, frankly, I am not expert enough on the subject to offer an informed opinion. OTOH, I have seen with my own eyes that some of the materials that I have charged my own customers good money to reclaim/recycle wound up in a landfill in spite of my efforts (and expenditures) and the good intentions of my customers, and, believe it or not, no one in the chain of custody broke any laws. The “state of the art” of recycling/reclamation is just that convoluted.

Originally Posted by roccobike
Once again ABSURD!
What would you have me do, store my garbage? This is ridiculous. I place parts in the recycle bin that are of no value and frequently unsafe as in the rims I discarded, along with empty food containers and other metal and plastic objects meeting the requirements of the town's recycling regulation. I place all newspaper and magazines in the paper recycle and all my used oil goes to the oil recycling facility. I never use quantities of gasoline and rarely use organic solvents as I use Simple Green as a cleaning agent.
If you have a problem with the way officials in your area are handling waste, take it up with them.
Actually, I do serve on an industry panel that works on a national level to improve the way my industry handles the vast amounts of spent material generated by our business endeavors. It sounds as though you are presently doing as much as any resident can do to handle your trash responsibly, and no one is challenging you – I am sorry if you took my comments personally. That was not my intention.

Caruso