Old 10-17-06, 11:15 AM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
Originally Posted by DanO220
So what did the whole project end up costing? This would make a great comparisson for those thinking of building a similar commuter on a new frame.

And yea. The bike looks great. I bet you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between yours and a new Rivendell in a 'blind taste test'.

DanO

Adding in the schmidt hub, lights, rear rack and brooks saddle which came ( as if I paid for them new) from another bike about $1200. It is by no means cheap but I raised the money by flipping vintage bikes and parts from garage sales and craigslist on e-bay so there is very little, if any out of pocket expense and I learned a ton. I learned quite bit from the folks in the classic and vintage forum as to what was desirable from a buyers perspective and what was not. I have indoor secure parking at work. Also I bought some of the parts for the build through my LBS even though they were available cheaper on e-bay. I like to support the local guys. You could probaly bring the bike cost in at about $1000-$1100 if you were willing to shop on line more than I did.

Thank you for the Rivendell compliment as that was the spirit in which I assembled it. I just can't afford $1400 for a frame and fork. Also this is a dedicated winter bike. The chroming under the paint helps protect it from rusting. I applied two coats of frame saver as well when I broke down the original bike.