View Single Post
Old 10-18-06, 09:21 AM
mrfreddy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by agarose2000
Hate to break it to most of the hi-cholesterol believers, but as far the medical institution is concerned, high cholesterol has shown to correlate extremely well with worsened heart disease. True, we haven't done causational experiments (would probably be unethical in humans), but if you're going to go against this thought of cholesterol=increased heart disease risk, you're going against the accepted national guidelines of the internal medical association.

It is true that people can grab small articles from this and that journal to prove otherwise, but the bulk of evidence as reviewed by a consortium of MDs around the nation over several years have come to the conclusion thus far that lowering cholesterol is probably one of the most effective means of reducing heart disease risk, even if it means starting a statin drug agent at an early age. It's what they teach in medical school, and they even test you multiple times with specific questions on current medical board exams to make sure that new doctors are up-to-date with current guidelines.

If you have any doubts to this whatsoever, call your local internal medicine doctor and ask him what the guidelines are for cholesterol and statin use. I have no doubt that some people have better "genetics" and thus may be fine with higher cholesterols, but for the vast majority of folks out there, lower your cholesterol.

And also, by the way, large statin studies have shown a real, but very small risk of liver toxicity, estimated to be less than 1 in 7000 users. Usually these manifest with elevated liver enzymes; if you're one of the unlucky few, no statins for you. However, for the VAST majority of users, it is also common belief that the benefit of lowering your cholesterol significantly with a statin far outweighs this risk for most people.

I recommend that you read Anthony Colpo's book, The Great Cholestoral Con. At Amazon right here http://www.amazon.com/Great-Choleste...880809?ie=UTF8

He takes apart the "bulk of the evidence" study by study, and identifies the flaws, conclusions published not supported by the data, incompetence, etc. etc.

There is also "The Cholesterol Myths : Exposing the Fallacy that Saturated Fat and Cholesterol Cause Heart Disease" by Uffe Ravnskov. http://www.amazon.com/Cholesterol-My...880809?ie=UTF8

I know it's hard to believe, and I catch a lot of flack here pointing it out, but the authorities really do have it completely wrong. It's the story of the century, really.